Monday, July 21, 2008

hurricane preparedness

Hurricane Dolly is headed for us. I think its interesting that they give hurricanes cute regular names. I feel like instead of rain and windy destruction, hurricane Dolly will bring about lots of butterflies and flower petals. To prepare, we went to HEB this morning to stock up on canned foods. I also made sure we had plenty of oreos and chips. If I'm going to be stuck in my house for a few days with no power, I'm going to enjoy it dammit. Besides, no one can see me therefore judge me if I'm eating oreos in the dark, right?

While pondering this matter, I caught a glimpse of an old man with a huge white beard. To me, old people are adorable, especially if they have big beards or blue hair. It makes me want to hug them, or sit on their lap and have them tell me stories. As the crowded lane dispersed I saw a bit too much of the cute old man than I wanted to see. He was wearing a long sleeved button down shirt (normal)... and itty bitty biker shorts (not normal/creepy). My husband's eyes got really wide as he scanned the little piece of spandex and I thought I heard him gasp. I grabbed my daughter and fast-walked to the next isle. From looking at what he man had in his cart (a motorcycle helmet and a riding jacket) I gathered he was a biker. I'm not quite sure though why he'd wear impossibly short spandex shorts though. A gay biker perhaps? Either way, not what I expected to see so early in the morning.

The rest of today is going to be spent cleaning. I don't know why most of us clean before a hurricane, maybe so we don't have to stumble over things in the dark or maybe to just give us an excuse to clean. Lord knows the only reason I ever clean my house is if I have guests coming over or a major storm is coming. I think my husband is the only person looking forward to a hurricane because he knows the house will be clean for a few precious hours.

Ok, back to cleaning.

No comments: