Friday, July 25, 2008

all of this for barbeque

Knowing full well that I was to have barbeque at a friend's house tonight, I promised myself the night before that I would eat healthy all day starting with a special K bar for breakfast. A smart plan in theory, but not my reality.

This morning my sister-in-law woke us up with a phone call saying the family was going to go eat breakfast and that we would be joining them. Not only was I not happy to be woken up before 10 a.m. on my summer vacation, but I was to be woken up to go to the International House of Pancakes. For anyone who has ever been to IHOP, it smells of powdered eggs and dirty dish rag. There's also a man dressed as a clown in the corner watching you eat and blowing up balloon animals. It's far from appetizing. Luckily for me, it was packed and we had a large party so we left IHOP and went to a very good mexican restaurant called Espi and T's.

Espi's is a very small cafe-type restaurant that serves the best breakfast, which was why we were patient when they tried to rearrange the restaurant to seat our party of 9. There was one large table available but 3 old people were sitting there... at the big table... that seats 8. They watched us walk in and kept stealing glances in our direction as we stood there waiting for this poor small waitress to try to maneuver around people and walls and tables to get our table of 9 together. To make things worse, I had to hear the 3 rude people talk about how the media didn't warn them that the hurricane would be so severe. Really? The constant reports in the newspaper and on the tv weren't enough? Nor were the 3 days you had to prepare in advance? I also read in the local paper how some local business owners were complaining how the media "hyped" up the hurricane disaster and because of that they didn't get a lot of business. They even used double negatives in their quotes.. like "they haven't made nothing, no money" or "the media attention isn't good for nobody." People just shouldn't talk sometimes.

But I digress.

Eventually we sat down and got fed and instead of having the piece of wheat toast and oatmeal that would have enabled me to keep my promise, I had the chorizo and egg plate complete with potatoes and refried beans. I didn't really eat dinner the night before though, and I barely ate during the hurricane. So... it doesn't really count, right?

My lunch consisted of popcorn, twizzlers and vitamin water. Don't judge. I hadn't eaten lunch and the smell of popcorn was sooo tempting. Meanwhile, my special K bar is burning a hole in my purse.

Now it's 7:30, I'm full of mexican food and popcorn, and about to eat my weight in barbeque at my friend's house. It's dangerous when old friends come into town. It's like all of a sudden your exercise regimen and healthy eating plan goes down the hole. Diet starts tomorrow!

No comments: