Tuesday, August 12, 2008

you're going to put a camera where?

In my effort to cross items off my to-do list I finally did what I've been putting off for years...going to the doctor. I've had stomach issues all my life and since college it got worse. 5 years later, I decided to do something about it. Better late than never, right?

I diagnosed myself a while back, declaring that what has been ailing me is acid reflux. It took me like 20 minutes to tell the doctor EVERYTHING that has bothered me in the past few years. Mainly that everytime I eat I have to follow with an antacid. I think I've single-handedly kept the company that makes TUMS fully operational.

So after my monologue o' ailments, the doctor told me that we would try a few things. First, I'd have to take Nexium everyday for the next 2-4 months. She also took some blood to see if I have H palari, a bacteria that can live in your stomach for years without you knowing (or finally going to the doctor to check). Then she said we'd have to do an endoscopy, where they basically stick a long tube with a camera at the end of it down my esophagus and into my stomach. With the endoscopy they'll look at any damage the acid reflux might have caused, see if there are any abnormalities and take some biopsies.

The doctor said there's a possibility I might have to take medicine everyday my entire life, or I'd have to have surgery to fix it. Hopefully it doesn't come to either of those options. I think this is why I put off going to the doctor. But I guess its a good thing. She said if I would have allowed this to continue I could end up with esophageal or stomach cancer. And here I was hoping that just by going to the doctor I'd magically end up okay. I guess we'll find out with the endoscopy and blood work.

Aside from that, I'm going to use this week to move into my classroom and start preparing lessons. This makes me depressed. It means the summer is over and my life will once again be run by teenagers with attitudes. Wish me luck.

No comments: